Saturday, August 30, 2008

Shannon's Fish & Chips!

Yup..

Another new recipe! Ok.. Sharlene is hoping for makeup applications.. but pai seh, my camera dun seem to pick up the makeup well. My pic all machiam I never put anything one lor..


Ok... I just try try only.. still need to improve cos' it din turn up crispy as i hope it would be..



Ingredients:


(A - Batter)


2 cups of flour (**note: I was using plain flour but result was not fantastic)


1 tablespoon of baking powder


1 can of SODA water (plain soda water)


2 eggs





(B - the fish and the chips)


Russet potatoes - peeled and cut into wedges or strips, up to you)


Fish fillet (frozen/ fresh also can.. )



I bought a pack of 6 fillets-frozen and the batter left with a bit but I guess should be enough to make 8.



How to make?


For the batter, I learn this on this food show Food911. Pretty easy to make, so I decided to make it myself.



Combine plain flour + baking powder, mix well. Home Econ teacher used to tell us to sieve the powders but.. heck lar.. LOL~


Anyway, please note that the flour could be the reason to why my fish wasnt crispy, so I will experiment next time and update accordingly. However if any one of you knows... PLEASE TELL ME! :P



Add in the soda water, fold in the flour mixture using your whisk. Yes.. you will see bubbles... dun just stare! WORK YOUR HANDS!



Add in the eggs to your mixture also.. mix everything until it forms a slightly fluid consistency. Meaning to say, when you use a spoon and scoop the mixture up, the batter should be like those thicken gravy type. If it's dry, add more soda water.



Make sure there's no lumps of flour hor.. btw, I also added in a bit of my garlic spice mixture and sesame oil. Aiyah.. it's Shannon's version what.. of cos I must add in special things.



Prepare a pot of hot oil or if you have a deep fryer, just use it..



Your fish fillets must be THAWED hor... dun stupid stupid use the frozen fillets... wait all the hot oil spray all over your face and you will become like me.. scar face! :P



Marinate your fillets if you want.. otherwise, powder your fish fillets with corn starch. The show recommends corn mill (grinded corn) but I have no idea where to get that. The corn starch is for the batter to have something to hold on to.. otherwise it will just say bye bye to your fish upon touching the hot oil.



Coat with a layer of batter....



Your oil should be relatively hot by now...



Slowly put in your battered fish fillet.... DO NOT THROW IT IN! I know some girls scared, just dump/ throw/ fling the food into hot oil. NEVER NEVER DO THAT! Just slide it in.. the oil is hot enough to cook the batter, and there's no water, so.. no OIL fountain.. no need to be scared..



Lower the heat slightly...



Cook until golden brown. My first attempt... it was brown.. BROWN!! I forgot all about the heat.. yes.. genius makes mistakes too you know! WAHAHAHAHA



Your fish is then done.. Simple hor?



As for the chips.. AIYAH JUST FRY THEM LAR..



Outcome?


Good enough to eat.. ok.. maybe not the crispy part.. but... here it is!



What can I say.. I lurve myself! LOL~ *thick-skinned*

No comments: